More about the image processing
The images produced by the digital camera (a Fuji FinePix 2800Z) were double-page spreads with an overall sepia tone. The pages have many brown marks and the resulting text is not easy to abstract from the page.
This thumbnail shows an example:
Each double-page image is about 750 Kb and even with a fast connection there would be a noticable delay when loading each page. So the images needed to be processed to:
- reduce the size of each image dramatically;
- separate each page and each illustration;
- straighten crooked pages or pictures;
- produce lists of chapters and pictures for user navigation;
- and frame pages for display.